Thursday, November 5, 2015

Experience abroad & New Monument of My Life


A few weeks ago, I got a phone call from my upperclassman, Elaine, who works at the international office of Soochow University. She invited me to share my unique foreign experience. I felt excited at that time, because it was a precious opportunity to share my amazing story with those who want to be an exchange student in the future. I cherished this time to meet up my friends in Taipei as well because the military service would be coming soon.


 

I named the topic, “Exchange Student Life and Me- US vs NL.” To be more specific, it was the year that I explore and wandered around this world. There was another speaker, exchanged to two different schools in Japan, sharing her amazing exchange student life this time. She also spent much money during her journey in Japan.

 



  歐美交換生活與我- Cover 





This speech was the longest one I've ever had, and it was almost 40 minutes.  I loved this topic, after all, it was my own story. My exchange student life impressed me even though it was a long time ago. I set some humorous points so that the audiences could understand more about the topic and the foreign life. Also, I thought that most spectators felt the speaker was a ludicrous guy.

 

I emphasized that exchange student life is not easy as we thought. We always saw those who attended exchange program usually post some fantastic photos or status such as hanging out with many foreigners or even hot chicks. In fact, studying abroad has so many difficulties such as language barriers, cultural diversities, environmented-adapting issues that we always conceal and just keep them in our minds.

(More info. →138 days in the US & 155 Slides of the Netherlands)

●Comparison between US & NL


 

29223

●So many people joined the speech

From my own perspective, many people were cheated by some beautiful photos and the school official website. Students thought that they could have a wonderful amazing foreign life after they saw the official website of the school. Take me for example, I just thought I could have a distinct exchange student life and I could do anything I wanted, and then graduated smoothly after the exchange program. However, being an exchange student was not much easier as I thought. After attending the first class, I felt that I mistakenly embarked on a hopeless adventure.clip_image002[1]  I think it was very similar to advertisement. People are so innocent (foolish) that they believe the advertising said.



  rug

●Most students are cheated by this building.

 

Actually, sometimes embarking on a wrong adventure is not totally a bad thing. On the other hand, that was a special opportunity to inspire and think about your potential. Studying in the top-100-ranking school was difficult, rare but distinctive. Sometimes, only if you are in a high pressure situation can make you try your best to attain your achievement. To be more specific, if you want to survive, you have to fight. I had a pressure to pass the exam. I had no choice but to delay my graduation if I failed the exam. If there was no pressure for me to pass the exam, I did think I would give up, and just travel as much as I could in Europe, not to mention realizing my potential.

 

Recalling my difficult fighting exam period, I still remembered the funny thing-that was my roommate: Jean Claude. I worried about my paper and exam, therefore, I went to the library until it closed every day, and I was definitely exhausted.

 

Every time when I went back to my room I usually saw my roommate was skyping or on a phone with his girlfriend. He usually said, “chéri~chéri”( the honey in French) Also, he finished his final. In comparison with me, I was like a loser, and I just told him, “Oh Man! You finished your exam, and you have a girlfriend. clip_image002[3]What the hell I am preparing the final exam, and I don’t %^&.” We were sharp contrasts about our current situations. Sometimes, he just asked me, “wanna drink?” Haha, when I reminisced, I still felt very fresh and thought that story was interesting. 

 

JC&I

●Jean Claude and I


After the final of block A, I’ve mentally prepared if I did not pass the exam. Fortunately, I was so lucky that I passed the exam. I got 7 on my overall score, it was so amazing and wonderful. All worries and concerns were gone. To congratulate this “pass”, I cooked my specialty dish: spaghetti with butter & bacon even though it is the time for midnight snack.


  IMG_20150421_221742

●Spaghetti with butter & bacon


There were too many details of my exchange student life. If you are interested in the exchange student life in western world, please do not hesitate to visit my blogger. (138 days in the US & 155 slides of the NL) Significantly, do share it with your friend. TA!clip_image002[5]


Also, I prepared the answers for some questions just in case people asked me these questions such as “What was the most difficult problem you met while studying abroad?” and “What was a big pity you thought after the exchange program?” No one asked one of the questions, though. Those two questions are still worth thinking after the exchange program.

29225

The most difficult thing was that I need to apply for the Schengen Visa before my US visa expired. In addition, I thought that the first month in the US was also tough for me. Maybe it was because that was my first time abroad, and I could not adapt to the new environment. Therefore, I went to see a doctor twice. I thought the most difficult part was not the expensive medical bill you paid, but the “uncertainty” in your mind. It was not convenient as Taiwan, and everything was different. Due to those inconveniences, I had to ask my friends to give me a ride. I thought the uncertainty will make you feel empty, solid, and cold. Fortunately, thanks to Shawn’s assistance, he took me to see a doctor twice and always gave me rides.


For a big pity, I thought that the friendship had been becoming a memory. To be more specific, I met many people from around the world. We used to hang out together, live together, but we could only enjoy the short-term happiness together. Frankly speaking, most people that we met were the passing traveler in our life, also the supporting actors or actress in our life. They account for very little percent in our life-scripts. clip_image002[7]

 

Many factors influence both friendship and relationship such as the distance and time. Sometimes, a little factor will become a barrier for people to become friends or develop relationship. After one year exchange student journey, I realized that it was a sort of destiny. What we should do is to cherish the time that we guys get together at the current moment. No matter we will meet in the future, it all depends on the destiny.


投影片34

●15 countries I travelled during the exchange period


Looking back on my past, I actually forgot most details of my life at the university, maybe joining some clubs, preparing for exams, and getting a good-guy card.clip_image002[9] However, I will never forget this wonderful exchange journey in my life. It inspired me and made me special from others. I was also inspired by my roommate- Jean Claude Rwibasira. He is not only a lawyer but a writer. It was my pleasure to attend his new book launching: The man with two faces, during my exchange period.

man with

●JC's latest Release

The book states not only his life but also his value about life, it makes people understand his country and his life. I was encouraged by this book. On my way home from Taipei this time, I made a salient decision, that is, to record any details of my life, my value about social and international issues as well. It was also the significant monument before entering this society.